Monday, April 23, 2012

Dr. Seuss 1st Birthday Party

When the boys were around 7 months I made the decision I wanted to do a Dr. Seuss Thing 1 and Thing 2 birthday party. Thing 1 and Thing 2 are characters in The Cat and the Hat. I loved the turquoise blue and red, and the characters. 






I spent my Spring Break researching everything I could about a Dr. Seuss birthday. I looked up parties and ideas on Google and Pinterest. There were so many great ideas, so I pinned them, wrote them down, put them in my favorites, etc. There were so many great ideas, and I wanted to narrow down to the things I would have the time/energy to accomplish!


The first idea I started was creating a ribbon topiary. They were on Etsy and I loved them! I assumed they used a Styrofoam ball, straight pins, and ribbon. So, the boys and I went to Hobby Lobby and Wal-Mart. We bought different types of ribbon that would match, dowel rods, and some Styrofoam balls. I made the 3 ribbon balls during my break. 






Next, I found a shop on Etsy that would create all of the banners. I used Modern Bebe to create for me, and she was amazing. I ordered the "Happy 1st Birthday Drake and Hunter," high chair banners for both boys, cupcake toppers, water bottle labels, Dr. Seuss quotes for decoration, invitation, Double the fun party banner, monthly banners for both boys, menu cards, favor tags, book sign in, and cupcake wrappers. I absolutely loved everything! It was exactly what I wanted for their birthday! 




The Happy Birthday Banner...



The high chair banners...




The water bottle labels...






I knew I wanted to include some things in the menu that would coordinate with Dr. Seuss books. 




I used goldfish for "One Fish, Two Fish, Blue Fish, Red Fish"


I had hot dogs for "Go Dog Go"


I had a popcorn machine for "Hop on Pop"








I had green ham sandwiches and green deviled eggs for "Green Eggs and Ham"









I had sprite with red and blue jello in it to match our party colors. It was very cute! Unfortunately, the jello clogged the spout, so we had to use a spoon to get it out.  








Favors were more difficult for me to make a decision about. I was going to have quite the range of ages in my guests, and I wanted them to all have something to take. I finally decided to do Dr. Seuss notebooks with Dr. Seuss pencils. I of course told them all to use this adorable pencil with an over sized eraser in their math class :)


I also had bubbles and lollipops for the younger kiddos to enjoy. I put the favor tags from ModernBebe on the lollipops. They stated "So sweet of you to celebrate with us! Drake and Hunter" I also added a circular favor tag to all of the bubbles! It was in Dr. Seuss colors, and had the boys' names on them.












The monthly banners were my favorite part! I cried when I put all the pictures on the banners. Seeing the difference from their newborn photos to 1 year was absolutely amazing. These boys have come so far from being my 35 week NICU babies. 








I also loved the twin birthday banner she created for us! I wish I had a better picture of it!






I ordered personalized Birthday hats from here and she did a great job! 









I ordered the plates, cups, napkins, forks, striped tablecloth, and lollipops from Oriental Trading. They had great prices, and it matched perfect.


I ordered the lanterns from Luna Bazaar. They were way cheaper than I ever expected and looked perfect! I loved the look they gave the party!


My in-laws were able to borrow the popcorn machine from their work! It was quite the hit at the party! The kiddos were lined up for popcorn! :)




The cake, cupcakes, and smash cakes were made by Annette Riggenbach. I was able to tell her the colors and she ran with it. Unfortunately, the 3 tier cake she had worked so hard on fell over in my car on the way home :( I was absolutely devastated. I called her crying and she was so sweet to help me out. Lacey and I drove the cake back to her. We had 2 hours until the party, and she was able to create a 2 tier cake that looked perfect! It meant so much to me that she was willing to create another one. 











I loved the idea of having a book for all the guests to write a note to the boys! I purchased the Dr. Seuss book "Happy Birthday to You" for both boys. I sat it on a table with the boys pictures and the quote Modern Bebe had created with some pretty pens. Everyone wrote them sweet notes that I know they will love to read one day.









Their adorable birthday shirts were made by Sandy and she did an amazing job as always. I absolutely loved the shirts!








Here are some of my favorite photos from their big day!






























These are two very blessed little boys! They received so many great gifts. From swing sets, sand boxes, books, gift cards, car seats, sprinklers, clothes, power wheels, chairs, water table, slide, blankets, and many more awesome gifts!



Thank you all so much for spending this special day with us. We love you all more than you know. 




1 comment:

  1. You’ve put together a lovely party for your twin’s birthday celebrations. The food arrangements and decorations are amazing and match well with the theme of the party. I have a busy but enjoyable day tomorrow as we’ll also be celebrating our daughter’s birthday party in the morning and will then be heading to my sister’s wedding in the evening at one of the wedding venues Los Angeles.

    ReplyDelete